Nick Poole, Foundation for Arable Research (FAR) Australia talks about fungicide resistance at the GRDC updates in Adelaide, February 2015.
He warns not to rely on fungicides to control Net Form of Net Blotch (NFNB) and Septoria tritici Blotch (STB). Use an Integrated Disease Management (IDM) package to prevent pathogen resistance and preserve fungicide effectiveness.
Take home messages
- Do not base the control of diseases such as NFNB and STB on
- Use them as part of an Integrated Disease Management (IDM)
approach to control these diseases – understand the key IDM levers.
- Need for more diverse range of fungicide options in the future.
- New fungicides entering the cereal market offer a real step forward,
however they will need protecting from pathogen resistance.
- To prevent fungicide resistance in these pathogens we will need to
adopt sound anti-resistance measures as part of an IDM approach.
Relevant 2015 GRDC Update papers
- Biology and management options for control of Septoria tritici blotch and Net form of net blotch by Hugh Wallwork, Adelaide, February 2015.
- Spot form of net blotch yield loss and management in barley using fungicides and resistance in Victoria by Mark McLean and Grant Hollaway, Ballarat, February 2015.