Not enough nitrogen is the most common limit to canola yield. The current key messages on nitrogen (N) for canola crops are:
- biomass is the biggest driver of canola yield
- low N limits biomass
- low biomass limits water and nutrient uptake
- canola crops need 80 kg of available N per tonne of grain yield
- N fertiliser can be applied up front or in split applications
- staggering N applications can reduce seasonal risks
- paddock rotations with N fixing plants can minimise N deficiency.
Research agronomist Rohan Brill runs NSW DPI’s canola trials at Wagga Wagga.